eXcel Leadership Academy inspires students to lead providing development tools, opportunities and experiences that introduce them to the rich diversity and opportunity of our region. We assist students in creating a vision of themselves as the future leaders of Hampton Roads.
The 2018 program takes place July 17 - 20, 2018 from 9 AM - 5 PM. Students will begin and end each day at the Hampton Roads Chamber, located in downtown Norfolk. They will visit sites across Hampton Roads traveling together by bus.
eXcel is built on the leadership concepts and training used in the LEAD Hampton Roads Signature program which has provided leadership development for regional leaders for over 30 years. These concepts and experiences are modified to engage emerging teen leaders.
The 5 Practices of Leadership: Based on the research of James Kouzes and Barry Posner, students will study 5 basic behaviors that are fundamental to effective leadership.
Appreciative Inquiry: Based on the work of Dr. David Cooperrider of Case Western Reserve University, Appreciative Inquiry is an innovative and positive approach to personal and organizational growth and improvement.
eXcel provides opportunities to examine and reflect on personal behavioral styles and interpersonal skills which are fundamental to success in all areas of life.
I-Sight: Adapted from the work of Dr. William Marsh who studied observable behavior within distinct environments, I-Sight is the “youth version” of the DiSC which is widely used within organizations to:
- Learn to understand oneself better
- Get along better with others
- Recognize and develop personal strengths. Students will understand their particular style and be able to recognize differing behavioral styles in others, resulting in improved interaction and teamwork.
Real World Wisdom: Students will participate in engaging conversations on techniques and opportunities to excel in the "real world" with business leaders and young professionals.
eXcel takes students behind the scenes for tours and activities focusing on leadership styles and environments. Past experiences throughout the region have included:
- Leadership in the Military: Tour and lunch on an aircraft carrier
- Leadership as an Elected Oﬃcial: Visit to Chesapeake City Council with Mayor Krasnoﬀ
- Leadership in Media: Conversations with media professionals, tour of ABC13/WVEC
- Leadership in Sports: Tour of Harbor Park/Tides
- Leadership in the Arts: Tours of museums and entertainment venues
- Entrepreneurship: Visit to HATCH, a start up accelerator
- Graduation at the Slover Library
The 2018 program takes place July 17 - 20, 2018 from 9 AM - 5 PM. Students will begin and end each day at the Hampton Roads Chamber, located in downtown Norfolk. They will visit sites across Hampton Roads, traveling together by bus.
Tuition is $300 and includes materials, transportation during the sessions and lunch and snacks each day. Limited financial aid is available.
eXcel LEADership Academy is coordinated and facilitated by: Angela Blackwell Carter, MEd, Executive Director, LEAD Hampton Roads, Vice President, Hampton Roads Chamber, and business and education leaders from across the region.
Presenting Partner: The SunTrust Foundation